Thursday, February 4, 2010

Today's Ponderables: Bananas

When someone goes crazy, we say they "went bananas." Why are bananas the fruit standard for craziness? How come no one ever "goes figs" or "went grapes?" "I told my dad I got an F in wood shop and he went pomegranites, man." It's always bananas. How did bananas become the insanity fruit?
Alternately, you could say someone went "ape shit," which is also slang for went "mad," or "crazy," so, you might surmise, it's not always a banana reference. But think! What do apes stereotypically eat? Bananas! Therefore, ape shit is made up primarily of bananas, so when someone went "ape shit," it's just another indirect reference to going bananas! Aha! And I believe apes eat nuts, too, so "going nuts" is also under the ape shit umbrella and connected to bananas!
I'm sensing conspiracy here...I don't know what this all means, but it'll make The DaVinci Code look like an episode of Dora the Explorer.
(c) 2010 Scott Teel. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment